Zadejte e-mail pro zasílání aktualit
Pro registraci Vašeho e-mailu Vám bude zaslán aktivační e-mail. Řiďte se jeho instrukcemi.
Přidat vlastní novinku

Destinační společnost Východní Čechy
Orlické hory a podorlicko
Sdružení obcí Orlicko
Království Orlice

Najdete nás také na:

Putování po historických městech Čech, Moravy a Slezska

The baroque chateau is the dominant feature of the square and the entire town. It houses a hotel, restaurant, private grammar school, basic arts school and the Municipal library. In autumn 2002 the first part of the permanent chateau exhibition was opened. Adjacent to the chateau is a naturally landscaped park with an imperial fountain, grotto with a viewing point and summer house. The chateau also boasts a terrace.

Opening hours of chateau exhibition:

tours in summer season (July, August):
Mon - Fri 9:00, 10:00, 11:00, 13:00, 14:00, 15:00, 16:00

Sat 9:00, 10:00, 11:00, 13:00, 14:00, 15:00, 16:00

Sun 13:00, 14:00, 15:00, 16:00

winter season – on arrangement for larger organised groups (min. 10 persons) on tel.: 465 622 092

admission and guides – in building of City Museum





Some chateau history:

In 1554 the owner of the estate Zdeněk Žampach of Potštejn commenced project of the construction of the fortress on the square in Kyšperk (on the site of today’s eastern wing of the chateau). The fortress was a simple, wooden structure, without any fortifications. On the site of Vitanovského street there was a deep natural ditch, as there was on the site of the road to the chateau terrace, so the fortress was located on a protracted elevation, beginning above today’s town square. In 1681 the then owner of the estate, Earl Hynek Jetřich Vitanovský of Vlčkovice commenced on the reconstruction of the fortress into an early baroque chateau. The fortress was demolished, only the stone foundations and cellars were left, on which a two-floor chateau building was constructed, with a tower which was constructed before the eastern wall (terrace). The tower then did not project from the ridge of the roof as it does today, but was rather a separate structure, which had a common wall together with the chateau. Foundations remained from this tower, on which a balcony was later constructed. In the same year a single floor building was constructed opposite this two-floor wing, in which a municipal hospital was established. Both buildings were connected by a simple wall, which stood on the site of today’s connecting wing. In 1681 – 85 a high baroque chateau chapel was constructed next to the chateau (now the church of St. Wenceslas), which is remarkable for its unique stucco decoration. No less quality stuccos also decorated the ground floor premises and 2nd floor of the eastern wing of the chateau. Over the course of time the chateau premises required modification, and so in 1730 countess Terezie Bredová of Špandava commenced a reconstruction. The interiors of the first floor of the main chateau building were refurbished. The tower was demolished, with only the ground floor section (balcony) remaining. The new tower had the appearance which we know today, though without the clock (added in the 1st half of the 19th century). There then followed terrain adjustments around the chateau, primarily to the south of the building. The space gained was used to extend the courtyard and create a garden. Supporting walls were constructed to bolster the uneven terrain. The modifications were completed by the daughter of Terezie Bredová, Marie Anna, married as Cavriani. She had the original simple wall between the wings demolished and in its place had the connecting wing constructed. The ground floor of the connecting wing is decorated on both sides by arcades, and a polygonal tower projects from the centre of the roof, accentuating the main entrance to the chateau. Together with the construction of the connecting wing, the northern section of the single-floor western wing, facing the square was modified. These modifications were implemented by the municipal architect J. Toman. A further extension of the chateau took place under the Earls of Stubenberg, namely under Karl Stubenberg. The single-floor western wing was extended on its southern side due to the construction of henchmans quarters (Vitanovského street), which took place in 1897 – 98. In addition the pseudo-classical façade of the entire complex was refurbished in 1901 – 1903, and in 1904 – 1905 a new staircase was created for both chateau buildings. The reconstructions were implemented by the Kyšperk architect Alois Petřík. One of the staircases was removed during a reconstruction in 1995. No further modifications to the buildings have taken place, except for small interior adjustments in 1947 – 1989. In the 1990s an extensive reconstruction of the entire chateau was carried out.

Kulturní centrum Letohrad

Václavské nám. 77

561 51 Letohrad

IČO: 70964891

tel.: 465 622 092


Jaroslav Moravec
tel.: 465 622 255

Dnes je

Svátek má :

Z naší fotogalerie

Zámek Radnice